Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Relay For Life | Cincinnati Photographer

I've been so focused on keeping up with clients that I didn't get a chance to blog about something AMAZING I got to participate in. One of my incredible senior models, Austin, asked me if I would sponsor his team and provide them with tshirts.

I didn't know much about the event prior to this request so I called the coordinator, Alice Sowers, who explained to me what Relay for Life is, "Relay For Life is a life-changing event that gives everyone in communities across the globe a chance to celebrate the lives of people who have battled cancer, remember loved ones lost, and fight back against the disease. At Relay, teams of people camp out at a local high school, park, or fairground and take turns walking or running around a track or path. Each team is asked to have a representative on the track at all times during the event. Because cancer never sleeps, Relays are overnight events up to 24 hours in length". WOW! You can find more info here . After feeling so inspired by what I heard and read, I volunteered to donate my time photographing the event for them. It was emotional, uplifting and enlightening.

I will soon be volunteering again, taking and printing photos of participants, at the Ride Cincinnati event this coming Sunday. Find out how you can be a part here. It's a lot of fun for a great cause in memory of my close friend's mother. I, unfortunately, have two very close friends who are battling cancer. I wish cancer weren't a part of anyone's lives, but since it is, I would like to do what I can to help find a cure and help those suffering from it and affected by it.

I took 100's of images at the event of many people from many schools which I will be posting on Facebook. These are images of people I know.

Austin holding his team's flag!
More Sycamore students.
"My" team posing with their sign
SWAT team again
Team SWAT members showing their baskets they made for sale to raise money
SWAT team members doing a lap
Annie and some friends
Some of my FAVORITE Class of 2010 clients who have now graduated, Meghan, Molly & Sophie, & friends
The kick off lap for survivors!


post signature